Seeking Our God
Hebrews Chapter 9 Overview
Check out my children's book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FP9NZNK Brief Outline: chapter nine draws comparisons and contrasts between the Levitical ritual and the priestly work of Christ. The rituals of the old covenant were temporary, inadequate, and ineffective. The work of Christ was permanent, thorough, and sufficient to remove sin permanently. The Earthly Sanctuary and the Heavenly Sanctuary (9:1-15): The physical layout of the tabernacle and the rituals which took place within its sanctuary were temporary and could not provide permanent forgiveness. The ceremonies could not remove sin or cleanse the conscience of the worshiper. The superior sacrifice (9:16-28): Christ’s death was effective because it cleansed the conscience (vv. 11–14), provided full forgiveness (vv. 15–22), and needed no repetition (vv. 23–28). Jesus is currently in the presence of God interceding for us. He is our High Priest and Mediator.
- The regular routine of sacrificing to God reminded the worshipers that they were in need of forgiveness
- The influence of Christ’s death produces in His followers a desire to serve God.
- Christ’s death removes the stain of sin. It is not just the external, but all of us is cleansed by His blood
- Christ’s death is so effective it requires no repetition. His death was final, full, complete, and once and for all. His death and blood satisfied all of the OT sacrifices.
- The high priest had to come into the Most Holy Place every year for an annual sacrifice. Jesus, our High Priest and Mediator of the New Covenant, is presently before God interceding on our behalf.
- Don’t trust religious rituals to remove your sin. Do not put faith in a recipe with God. Trust in the life, work, death, and resurrection of Christ. Confess your sins to God and believe that He has forgiven them. Give that guilt to Him
- Nurture in your heart a desire to serve God. The life of Christ has freed us from dead works. Let us live to serve the living God.
- Trust in Jesus Christ as your Savior to remove the guilt of sin. Believers receive eternal redemption and eternal inheritance.
- Look for the coming return of Jesus which will complete the salvation which began with our commitment to Him.
For more information about this show, which includes additional notes and details, please visit the show page here or visit our home page at SeekingourGod.com